Information: Parents and Carers
A student will learn to:
- count forwards and backwards with fluency
- sequence numbers from 0 up to 30
- recognise numerals and say their names
- read and use ordinal names to '10th'
- No previous knowledge required
- Ideally the student will have some exposure to numbers and counting in their personal lives
7 lessons, approximately 1 hour each
- Warm Up and Lesson: approximately 40 - 45 minutes
- Extra Practice: approximately 15 - 20 minutes
NB: One hour is a very long time for little ones. You may like to cap each lesson to half an hour with plenty of brain breaks when necessary. You may like to alternate between lessons and their Extra Practice activities over two days.
Please model and encourage the use of the following vocabulary when working through this unit:
- count forwards
- count backwards
- number before
- number after
- more than
- less than
- groups of ten
- is the same as
- Make sure any difficulties with pronouncing teen numbers is addressed as they do not follow the usual oral 'tens first then ones' pattern
- Encourage the use of the phrase 'how many' rather than 'how much'
- is the same as and is equal to can both be applied language, however is the same as is more appropriate at this stage
Please feel free to revisit this course at any time if your student has the motivation; repeated practice and play is extremely beneficial for concept consolidation, and identifying links to other concepts.
If you haven't read the essay yet, make sure you read the general information about how McMahon Education functions. You will need a coffee, and a plan to do something rewarding and fun afterwards.
If you come across any problems or broken links, please let me know via the following feedback form: